We recently bought a huge coffee urn! The full instructions on how to use this machine are located: here.
Step 1: Volunteer
- Send email to one of the Social Hour Czars or to cse-gsa@eng to schedule a day. Or edit this page.
- Around 2 pm start making the coffee. It takes about 1 minute per cup of coffee. So plan ahead! (Full instructions here)
- Get the coffee urn from XXX.
- Place on a chair with wheels.
- Fill urn with water and coffee:
- Remove the basket and stem and fill the urn with cold water to the desired level (suggested: XXX).
- Insert the basket and stem.
- Measure coffee and place in basket (see below for proportions, and err on the side of strong coffee instead of weak coffee).
- Lock cover in place.
- Bring coffee urn up to 4th floor and place on table next to outlet.
- Turn ON the coffee pot.
- Coffee urn stops perking automatically, and will keep coffee warm.
- Using a potholder, remove basket and stem. Dump grounds in trash. This prevents the coffee from tasting bitter.
- Make sure pot is turned OFF when less than 3 cups remain, or you can no longer see coffee in view tube.
| Water level|| Cups ground coffee|
| 100|| 6.25|
| 80|| 5|
| 60|| 4|
| 40|| 2.5|
- Allow coffee urn to cool.
- Empty grounds.
- Wash basket, stem and cover in warm soapy water.
- Clean inside of coffee make by filling with warm water to 1/3 capacity. Add dish soap.
- Scour the heating unit. The heating unit must stay clean for coffee maker to work properly.
- Put coffee urn back in XXX.